Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Struggle toward safety

So I conferred with the loving wife. Sold it like a hard sell timeshare salesman. After eye rolling, she gave me permission to pull the trigger. Bought the place from a flakey guy in Texas. Closed in Alamosa and began to implement my grand plan: Scouting for routes. Finding a way down to the river that sets this otherwise worthless patch of desert apart. Hazards abounded. 100 ft drop-offs, snakes, the river at high water. Learned how to tie climbing knots. Bought climbing gears and anchors. Purchased pipe to construct rails and an expensive Bosch SDS-Plus drill to place anchors in the rocks. I was making my mark. Staking my claim. Trying to tame a wild and potentially dangerous piece of land. All I needed was google, gumption and a whole lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment